Radiothon targets 500 supporters
Posted on: Mon 17 Jun 2019
From 17-23 June, Radio Adelaide is calling on all listeners to put their money where their ears are and become supporters to keep alive an integral voice in Adelaide’s culture.
The Radiothon aims to support Radio Adelaide in its quest to thrive as a wholly independent, non-profit station. Listeners’ support is crucial and Radio Adelaide is targeting 500 new supporters.
Station Manager Chris Leese says listener numbers are at a record high, with 54,000 tuning in each week. The station’s Radiothon campaign aims to grow its listener support base, with fewer than half of one percent of current listeners supporting Radio Adelaide financially.
“We have set a target of 500 new supporters and we are asking our listeners to put their money where their ears are and get behind the station. Radio Adelaide relies heavily on listener support in order to evolve its programming and provide South Australia with a rich and real platform for local arts, music and ideas,” Leese said.
Every year Radio Adelaide trains over 200 people in radio production. Students learn from some of the most experienced and respected broadcasters in Australian community radio. “Students gain the real experience that gets them jobs and makes Radio Adelaide one of South Australia’s leading training grounds for media talent.”
Audiences can engage with the Radio Adelaide Radiothon by listening to the station and attending a Radiothon event. Please see the full event schedule below and by visiting radioadelaide.org.au.
Radio Adelaide 2019 Radiothon Event Schedule
Monday 17 June
Songcatcher & Mixtape live from Billy Bob’s BBQ Jam at the Grace Emily Hotel and featuring sets by Radio Adelaide presenters Sophie Landau (Pink Rabbit), Adrian Szabo (Local Noise) and Jacob Whitelock (Local Noise)
Tuesday 20 June
Shut Up, Adelaide’s Heaps Good live from the Grace Emily Hotel and featuring sets by Godfrey, Paper Sunsets and more to be announced
Wednesday 21 June
Roundaboutsingalong live at South Terrace Croquet Club emceed by David Heath
Thursday 22 June
Pink Rabbit, HER. and Pride & Prejudice live from Sparkke at the Whitmore and featuring sets by Teenage Joans, Jessica Jones and more to be announced
Saturday 23 June
The Folk Show and Saturday Blues live from Café Komodo and featuring sets by Jen Lush, Mike and Sian O’Callaghan, Courtney Robb and Snooks La Vie, Cal Williams Jr and Chris Finnen
Please direct any media enquiries to Chris Leese, Station Manager, on 08 7132 5000.
Radio Adelaide Fast Facts
- Over 120 hours of radio is produced each week by 200-plus volunteers
- Around 80 programs are produced each week, covering arts and culture, news and current affairs, science and technology, environmentalism, books and literature, Indigenous culture and languages, LGBTIQ news and culture
- More than half of the music played programming is Australian, championing local artists and venues to support a thriving Adelaide live music scene
- Current affairs program The Wire, music program The Folk Show and service-to-community program Service Voices broadcast to hundreds of community radio stations Australia-wide on the Community Radio Network
- Broadcasters from across the many diverse communities of Adelaide come together to tell uniquely South Australian stories.